Saturday, December 19, 2009

Vang Vieng - heading to the countryside for Tubing recovery

While many people get stuck doing "Tubing" aka partying all day for much longer than intended, we decided to head out into the countryside on our bicycles, crossing the river in search of a little tranquility.

However we also found enlightenment:


Ahhhh, so that's what bridges do!!!

It was another steamy hot day, perfect for gorgeous countryside, the breeze in your face and a swim in the blue lagoon. We rented bicycles which turned out to be a comedy of errors. I preferred a mountain bike to the European style pretty bikes, but a few pedals in and I realised my seat was broken and kept sliding back into a very dangerous position. Heading back downhill to return it I also realised the brakes were non-existent. So I got a pretty gearless bike, which it turns out, had a dysfunctional chain..... which meant every ten minutes I had to stop and put it back on.

I quickly became and expert and every time it went clunk thud I cheerfully yelled "Evy!!!" She would stop, come hold the bike and I would fix it - while locals looked on curiously at this greasy Falang mechanic.


Greased lightning!




 

In line with the fact that it was Thanksgiving Day we were also charged by a rather aggressive turkey who I still maintain deserved to be thoroughly cooked!

I also nearly drove over a rather nasty looking green snake which slithered past my wheel!



We reached the gorgeous Blue Lagoon and I immediately jumped in. I noticed a bit of a commotion by some people outside the water. When I eventually got out to take a look I heard they had seen this snake emerge from the water with a frog in its mouth, and proceed to eat it... slowly with lots of shrieks from said frog.

I am still a bit sore about the fact that no one bothered to tell me I was possibly swimming with the family of this brightly coloured snake!




 Fran trying to pull some clever tricks

Fully prepared for relaxation we pulled out our snacks and books and lay in the sun.... and all those French people in the above photo promptly put on some very loud, thumping music - thus destroying the setting very nicely. So we headed off to a nearby restuarant selling delicious fruit shakes and ended up chatting until sunset.

This made for a rather interesting journey cycling back and fixing the chain in the dark!




Exhausted we ate dinner and were leaning towards bed when again we somehow ended up partying!!! Love Vang Vieng!!


Another day, another bucket!

No comments:

Post a Comment