Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Chiang Mai

So, everyone raves about Chiang Mai, but I wasn't that crazy about it, I didn't spend too much time there and made the mistake of staying in the main tourist area. In Bangkok I did not, and the one day I went to check out Khao San road I was in a bad mood after ten minutes with all the hassling. Seriously, it is too much. Many countries popular with backpackers have these districts filled with tourism agencies, hostels, touts and in Thailand, bars with 20 attractive Thai girls in front to lure in the Farang. They should replicate this kind of street, put it on an island somewhere and make it a holiday destination in itself!

Ok that is a bit extreme, but the plastic packaged tourist version of the city was seriously working on my nerves.

The city does have about 300 temples, and we stumbled across one at dusk which was cool. It was the main temple Wat Chedi Luang which is about 600 years old.



 

Evy and I decided to go for an hour long foot massage.




As I lay there in bliss, the woman expertly massaging my feet in possibly the most amazing massage ever, I thought of how we would gush about it for days, vowing to return every day to the same place!

As I sleepily stood up (it was midnight when we were finished) Evy declares: "Oh my god that was the worst massage ever!" Shocked I listened to her one hour of torture, as the man pictured above did everything wrong while she had to watch my divine masseuse delivering her skilful massage.
These things do sometimes go wrong......

No comments:

Post a Comment