Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Big in Bangkok.... but ditch the flip-flops

One of the main attractions in Bangkok is the Chatuchak weekend market, which my guidebook tells me attracts about 200,000 people a day over the weekend - it is massive and it has everything from clothes to gardening tools and plants and pets (an entire section devoted to fish tanks) and a host of miscallaneous goods.

Random shot of the market

No it does not look like there are that many ppl in this pic - why? Because I went early - trust me it is worth the annoyance of restraining yourself and not partying too hard the night before to get there as it opens around 830 and miss the crowds. Markets in Bangkok as a rule should generally be avoided with hangovers, sources tell me, as the heat and crowds can be a cruel, cruel punishment for the previous night's excesses.

So had a nice stroll around, some good shopping (poor Richard brought a book with and everytime he saw me lured into a stall he sat down, long-suffering, to wait it out. (He claims it was every store but I refute that). What a trooper!

It all went pretty well, until I decided to buy some shorts! I am not a petite girl even by South African standards, but generally a Medium does me well.
I handed the gentleman manning the stall a medium I wanted to try on and he said "don't worry, we have many size" - chucking it away and delving through a pile to hand me an XXL (extra....extra..Large).

I shimmied it up my thighs and the button fell about an inch short of closing. "Suicide rocks weekend market" is a headline which came to mind.
So I eventually found a suitable pair, pictured below....

*choke*

So turns out I am pretty Big in Asia, or obese.... luckily I can see the funny side of this and bought two pairs!
Buying two pairs of things you like such as flip flops ( "one pair 70 baht, two pair 100 baht [ just over 3 dollars, about R25) just makes such SENSE!!

I bought a lovely white dress and wore it with my new blue flip-flops for a night out last night. After a depressed week without a converter I figured sticking the plug in the wall and testing it is quite effective, and my hair straightener could actually work (yes it is prob very uncool to drag along hair devices but it's for the public good) So hair straightened, clad in new dress and necklace we went out for a dinner at Cabbages and Condoms - a funky little restuarant which makes all sorts of things -- like dresses and lampshades -- out of condoms (and u get one instead of a mint at the end of the meal) and proceeds go to AIDS charities. Some guide books said the food wasn't anything to write home about - I thought it was fantastic!

So afterwards we decided to go and have a drink at the top of the State Tower, reputedly the best view in Bangkok. As we enter the lobby the woman guarding the lift evilly gazes down at my feet and says: "must wear high heels, we very strict. Only high heels or fashionable shoes" The look she gave my feet would have withered them if feet were witherable.

So we pretended to disappear, re-emerged a few moments later and hid behind a group of Thai's heading up. It is a stunning view, but at 400 baht a cocktail, and a rather dull and strained atmosphere (with a few men in sneakers looking like rogues and drug addicts allowed in while my poor flip-flops were dissed) I wouldn't rave about it. No one really seemed to be enjoying themselves.

As a backpacker high heels aren't a huge priority, but since I was now morally bound by my shortcomings.... I went to buy a pair. For the "stuff to leave at Richard's place until the flight back home" pile.



The offending shoes. For the beach... not the State Tower.

No comments:

Post a Comment